|Sponsor:||Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries|
Object & Deliverables
The primary objective of this project is to provide accurate landscape level forest structure estimates for forest stands and individual tree species that will enhance planning that demonstrate innovative and sensitive approaches to integrated forest land management. These estimates can be used for strategic, tactical and operational ecosystem management planning (non-timber planning such as, structure retention, bird habitat suitability index modelling, mountain pine beetle susceptibility, etc.) as well as traditional forest management planning.
The following project deliverables will result from this project:
1. LiDAR derived overstorey forest structure metrics assigned to each AVI polygon for the Al-Pac FMA area
2. LiDAR derived understorey forest structure metrics assigned to each AVI polygon for the Al-Pac FMA area
3. Localized forest prediction models (both merchantable and total volume)
4. TSP data, including field sampling manual
5. Application program written in Microsoft Excel
6. Midterm reports
7. Final reports, including application Excel manual
The complete findings of this project, methodology, observations and results are contained in the report titled, Enhanced Forest Inventory for Sustainable Forest Management Using LiDAR Technology.