|Sponsor:||West Fraser Mills Ltd.|
Object & Deliverables
The project was to supply and install bear-proof food storage lockers in popular public access random camping areas within R10 and R11 FMUs, which are both within Clearwater County.
The project was to install a small bank of bear proof food storage lockers at a number of the auto access and back country popular random camping sites, to:
- reduce human/bear conflict by reducing bear attractants
- reduce the number of euthanized bears due to conflict with campers
- enhance recreational camping experience in the area
- enhance public education of BearSmart principles
- increase awareness of Forest Industry contributions to overall ecosystem health
The final report was presented November 24, 2021, and showed the successful installation of 26 lockers in the target areas by November 3, 2021.